Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Hero Becomes the "Heree."

Dec 8th, 2007... the hour is 1930

I started pacing the kitchen, frantically searching drawers and cupboards, while racking my brain with thoughts of what to feed my empty stomach.

I had opened up the refrigerator so many times already that the temperature inside it was close to the room temperature, and as stocked as the refrgerator seemed, there was nothing inside it that was even mildly appealing at the time.

While I was still trying to figure out how to quell the hunger in my stomach, in walks my brother, grumbling about how hungry for Chinese food he was and how he needed the number to the panda express two blocks over...

As I wasn't really in the mood for Chinese food, I convinced him to order instead from Banana Leaf, (an Asian-Thai restaurant) and to pick me up a serving of their pineapple fried rice.

A half-hour later, I went into the living room only to find my brother watching some kinda sports show on Tele, and on inquiring, found that he had not even placed the order with the restaurant. He had instead been so engrossed with wuteva sports was he was watching that he had simply forgotten about the hunger in his stomach.

I was "seeing red" at this point, and hungry beyond comprehension, so I thought I'd just give in and eat noodles instead.

I had just poured the noodles into the boiling water on the stove while talking on the phone to my older sister when I heard the back door of the house slammed close and a very loud thud reverberating through the kitchen.

I looked in the direction the sound came from and saw my brother curled on the ground, apparently hurt from a major fall. ( did i mentioned that it had snowed the previous day and even though the the snow had been shovelled off the grounds, the subsequent rain and the almost zero temp had made for nice sleet formation and the salt we'd poured on the grounds did not seem to have any effect. But I digress...)

The maternal (albeit latent) instinct in me kicked in as I hurriedly got my sister off the phone so I could go and help my brother up.
On openeing the door, however, I managed to slip on the ice as soon as I stepped outside and before you could say "hell-on-ice," I found myself taking a seemingly unstoppable tumble like Jill from the famous classic "Jack and Jill."
I hit my head hard on the first stoop, but just kept sliding down, and hurting my neck and back the whole way down.

I finally managed to stop just before hitting my brother who was still hurt from the fall and lay curled up on the ground still. It was then that I realized there was no way I could have gotten out of falling, because in my hurry to help out my brother, I had completely forgotten to wear shoes, and there was absolutely no friction between the soles of my feet and the gadem ice.

We both managed to get up fianlly and I was able to get out a weak are you ok? to him.
Holding on to the door, we made our way back into the house whereupon I started to nurse my head, while he tried cleaning the ginormous bruise he'd sustained on his arm.
Then, as if on cue, we both looked at each other, and bursted out laughing amidst fits of painful groans.

As, I finally popped a couple of caplets of aleve in my mouth, I was able to reflect on what should have been me heroic moment, u know when I gallantly rescue my brother from his fall, in a shining armor no less... and instead, I ended up needing to be rescued me damn self, and I was only able to conclude that that sucks

3 comments:

Jinta said...

Ouch! Did you retain your appetite for the noodles after the trip down ice valley?

Eyin'ju Oluwa said...

Awwwwww eeeyah pele...u cant help but laugh about somethings...hope ur head is okay now..

4wardnfiaca said...

@jinta... my appetite was pretty much shot after my trip o (as u so eloquently put it). but I had to eat regardless. i was past hungry at this point

@sewa, thank you jare. i'm glad u were able to laff. and yes o, my head is fine now, it's my back that's not cooperating